We are pleased to introduce you to the new look Scotland’s environment website.
The new website has been designed and developed following discussion and feedback with you, our users, to find out what you want and need from this online resource. It’s still a work in progress but in this first phase release you’ll find new designs, functionality and content. By introducing new developments on a beta, or test, version of the website we can make sure we are on the right track. Not all of the current Scotland’s environment website content and data has been added to the beta website but development will continue over the summer months, in time for a full release in early autumn this year.
The current Scotland’s environment website will continue to run during the beta test phase.
Our aim is to create a one-stop-shop search and discovery hub to get you to the environmental data you need, when you need it. You can be confident that the data you find and view on Scotland’s environment web is trusted, authoritative, and the most up-to-date data that is available. We want to provide you with a quick and easy way of finding, viewing and interacting with data from multiple sources. Find out more at about our aims?
So what’s new about Scotland’s environment web?
New home page design and layout
- Quick links to key applications and pages;
- Links to other Scotland’s environment websites;
- Sign up for Scotland’s environment updates;
- Quick view of our latest social media posts – don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram #scotenvironment;
- See who our partners are.
Easier to find what you are looking for
- New navigation based on how users look for information. Feedback from usability tests carried out last year helped us to design and structure the website.
- Navigation at the top of every page with links to suggested pages, both on Scotland’s environment website and other external websites.
Search for data you need and discover new data
- The new map tool allows you to search for data of interest by keyword, environmental topic and organisations that publish data. There is limited data in the map at the moment but this will grow over the summer.
- To be released soon - a demonstration prototype of a new data discovery catalogue where you can search for, and find out much more information about, the data on Scotland’s environment website, with quick links to how you can view the data and the data services available.
Better connections to other websites with related information, and quick links to help you get to more detail
Find out more about current environmental issues facing Scotland
- The new our environment section summarises key messages of interest and provides links to more information and useful contacts.
- New topics have been added including Landscape-scale Conservation and Habitat Map of Scotland.
- The range of topics currently available is limited but we’ll be adding more over the summer.
- Some topics include new interactive data widgets with headline statistics, with links to the more detailed data applications for further detailed analysis. You can export the images of maps, graphs and charts from these applications for reports and presentations.
- Regular blogs highlight what you can find on Scotland’s environment website and include guest features from our partners on topics of interest.
You will also find a lot of the same information that was on the old website
Watch out for future additions to the website over the coming months include:
- Data discovery catalogue where you can easily search, find, and access Scotland’s environment web data and download our partner data;
- Land Information Search improvements;
- Additional Our environment topics & interactive widgets.
Download Adobe Acrobat Reader
Adobe Acrobat Reader is the free, trusted leader for reliably viewing, annotating and signing PDFs.